For many patients with concerns about the alignment and appearance of their teeth the thought of having fixed metal braces for a number of months or even years stops them from being able to achieve what they’ve always wanted – straighter teeth.
At Sharrow Dental, our Invisalign braces in Essex mean that patients benefit from a revolutionary orthodontic treatment that provides gradual, comfortable and almost completely invisible teeth straightening in the form of clear retainers (or aligners). They are made especially for you and are formed from an impression of your mouth – providing a perfect fit to help progressively rotate, move and straighten your teeth over time.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is not actually a brace. What most people think of when they picture braces are the traditional metal and train track style braces with wires and brackets that have been used in dentistry now for decades.
Invisalign does not attach to the teeth the way fixed braces do but instead comes in the form of clear, custom made aligners which fit over your teeth in the similar way that a thin mouth guard would. These aligners are swapped every 1 – 2 weeks for the ‘next stage’ in the set and work to move the teeth gently and gradually into their new position.
What Does the Invisalign Process Involve?
The exact process that your Invisalign treatment in Essex entails can depend on a number of factors including if you are having to undergo additional treatments prior to commencing your Invisalign journey.
Here is a guide to how the process typically works;
- At your initial consultation, our expert orthodontists will carry out a thorough examination of your mouth in order to ascertain your overall oral health, determine suitability and identify any potential issues such as gum disease or tooth decay.
- Those who have signs of the above will need to undergo treatment in order to resolve the issues before starting Invisalign.
- Once you are ready, impressions of your teeth are taken to get a clear idea of what can be achieved and help you decide on the best teeth straightening option for you. We may also take photographs and scan your teeth to help us plan your new smile.
- If you are a suitable candidate for Invisalign in Essex, then we will create a bespoke treatment plan for you and have a thorough discussion about your options, the price, timeframes and results. We will also answer any questions you may have and ensure that you to come a decision that you are comfortable and happy with.
- If you decide to proceed with Invisalign then treatment can commence. For some patients with overcrowding, this can require a preliminary treatment which involves gentle, subtle filing down the sides of some teeth in order to accommodate the movement. Some patients can also require small tooth coloured “attachments” which are bonded onto selected teeth to facilitate tooth movement.
- Once your trays are created you will wear them in the order stated – changing them for the next set every 1 – 2 weeks or as advised by your dentist. They are made of a thin, clear, strong, non-toxic plastic that is medical grade and designed to fit comfortably over your teeth with minimal fuss or discomfort. The aligners are tailor made for your teeth and your teeth alone and each new tray is designed to slowly move your teeth over time.
- Throughout the treatment you will require occasional check-ups with our Invisalign dentist in Essex, to help monitor your progress, ensure that the treatment is working and that you are happy with everything.
- The length of treatment will depend on the individual patient, their teeth and how consistently they wear their retainers but on average Invisalign treatment usually take between 6 and 14 months.
- Once your treatment is complete and yourself and your dentist are happy with the results, you will have a retainer which is to be worn every night to help prevent any relapse or movement from occurring.
The Advantages of Invisalign
Invisalign is an extremely popular method of treatment for patients wanting a subtle and practical solution for straightening their teeth. Not only does this method allow patients to work, eat, play and go about their lives as normal but offers a number of additional benefits too.
Discreet – Invisalign aligners are so appealing because they are practically invisible so you can achieve a straighter, beautiful smile without having to worry about how they look.
Removable – Unlike fixed braces Invisalign are extremely easy to take out and put back in. They can be removed easily to eat and drink with minimal fuss.
Dental Hygiene – The wires, bands and brackets on traditional braces can make keeping your teeth clean extremely difficult. With Invisalign, simply remove your retainer and floss and brush as normal!
Comfortable – Although there can be tenderness and minor discomfort at the start of each new tray as your teeth adjust to the aligner, most patients find Invisalign to be a comfortable and nearly painless treatment.
Better for Your Teeth – Because of the way Invisalign treatment works it significantly reduces the risk of things like root resorption which can be caused when moving the teeth. It also eliminates the potential for damage to the enamel that can be caused by the adhesive that bonds the brackets to the teeth with metal braces.
Music and Sports – Patients who enjoy music or sports as part of their lifestyle will be pleased to know that Invisalign offers much more flexibility, whether it means being able to take them out or keep them in.
Enjoy the Results – Because Invisalign is a clear treatment there is no need to wait for the ‘final day’ to see your results. You can enjoy your improved teeth alignment throughout the whole process as they gradually move into place.
Am I a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign can be used to treat a variety of orthodontic problems from misalignment and overcrowding to underbites, overbites and crossbites.
Invisalign treatment in Essex is suitable for patients of almost all ages and works very well for older teenagers and adults. However, children and young teenagers are unlikely to be good candidates because their teeth and jaws are still growing and will most likely need to wait until they are older.
You must be dedicated to straightening your teeth. The aligners need to be worn consistently for a minimum of 22 hours a day in order for treatment to be effective and for your teeth to move at the rate you’d expect.
If you suffer from complex dental issues such as gum disease, then Invisalign may still be possible but you could require additional treatments prior to beginning the straightening process. If Invisalign isn’t right for you then we will help to come up with an alternative solution that will get you the results you want in a safe and comfortable way that is best for your dental health.
Book Your Invisalign Consultation Today
It’s never too late to get the smile you’ve always wanted. If you’d like to speak to someone about Invisalign braces in Essex, then call Sharrow Dental on – 01245 354046 to speak to one of our friendly advisors who can help book you in for your consultation.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an effective teeth straightening solution that provides a comfortable, virtually invisible, removable alternative to traditional, fixed, metal braces. This innovative system uses transparent aligner trays that are custom made to gradually move the teeth over time to the desired position.
They can be used to correct a range of dental issues including;
Unlike most other orthodontic treatments, Invisalign trays are removable, which means they can be taken out quickly, easily and painlessly. This makes it easy to continue to enjoy food and drink and maintain proper oral hygiene through regular brushing and cleaning.
How does Invisalign work?
Your dentist will take bite impressions of your teeth which are sent to a specialist lab where the latest 3D imaging technology is used to create a series of custom made clear aligners. Depending on the patient and their treatment plan there can be anywhere from 12 – 50 trays required overall to achieve the desired results.
Your dentist will issue you with your first sets of aligners and each set will usually need to be worn for around 2 weeks at a time before proceeding to the next stage. Each tray differs slightly, causing the teeth to gradually shift overtime and move into the desired position.
They will need to be worn for at least 22 hours a day and should only be removed to eat and clean your teeth. Once treatment has concluded and you are happy with the results, your dentist will provide a retainer for you to wear at night to help prevent any unwanted movement from occurring.
What are the benefits of Invisalign over metal braces?
Although there are obviously pros and cons to both orthodontic treatments, Invisalign does provide many benefits that traditional metal braces do not, including;
- They are cosmetically much more pleasing and are barely visible which makes patients less self-conscious.
- They can be removed if needed which helps with eating and means that no foods are off limits.
- Oral hygiene is a lot easier to maintain with quick removal for effective brushing and flossing that can be done normally as part of your routine.
- They are much more comfortable to wear with no wires or brackets that can rub and irritate the mouth causing pain and ulcers.
- They save time as they require less frequent appointments and check-ups.
- For patients who play a musical instrument or sport, they can continue to be worn without interference or if required they can be easily and discretely removed.
Although Invisalign is a great treatment choice, they may not be suitable for all dental issues. You will need to discuss your options with your dentist who can offer advice and help determine the best course of treatment whether that’s Invisalign, traditional braces or a smile makeover.