For some patients despite every care and effort to help put them at ease – dental procedures can be extremely nerve wracking, stressful and leave them feeling anxious. As a result of this some patients avoid the dentist all together or put off and delay receiving much needed treatments which can be extremely detrimental to their long term oral health.
In 2018, Sharrow Dental introduced in-house sedation services which are designed to help nervous patients or those with a severe gag reflex, undergo treatment in a way that is stress free, comfortable and relaxing.
What is conscious sedation?
Conscious sedation is a technique using medications to relax patients to a point where dental treatment can be carried out comfortably and without pain.
These types of sedation can significantly help patients by reducing anxiety, minimising discomfort or pain and inducing relaxation during dental procedures such as fillings, root canals and cleanings.
Throughout the procedure you will still be awake and your dentist will be able to talk to you to help put your mind at ease and inform you of everything that is happening.
What are the benefits of conscious sedation for dental work?
Anxiety can be a major barrier for many patients to overcome and make dental procedures – especially those that are lengthy and invasive almost impossible. With conscious sedation we are now able to offer the full range of treatment to patients who previously might never have thought it possible.
Some of the benefits of conscious sedation include;
- Anxiety free dental treatment
- Patients feel comfortable and relaxed
- Lengthy procedures feel like they pass quickly
- Makes uncomfortable procedures such as extractions more manageable
- Quick recovery period
Could conscious sedation be right for me?
Phobias and anxiety related to the dentist is not uncommon – however it is vital that this doesn’t lead to the avoidance of dental appointments and treatment all together.
Patients would likely benefit from conscious sedation if they;
- Have a phobia, are very nervous or have anxiety related to the dentist
- Are undergoing a long or complex procedure
- Have a sensitive gag reflex or are unable to withstand dental treatments without gagging
- Would prefer to not be aware of the procedure going on
- Are afraid of having injections / needles in the mouth
- Have extremely sensitive teeth
- Suffer from jaw joint problems and cannot hold open their mouths for very long
What types of conscious sedation do you offer?
At Sharrow Dental our experienced physicians are able to offer a number of effective conscious sedation treatments including;
- Local anaesthesia
- Gas and air
- Intravenous sedation
- Intranasal conscious sedation
- Oral sedation
Your dentist will be able to advise you on which type of sedation is best suited to you.
What does the treatment entail?
This will vary depending on the type of treatment but here is what you can typically expect from conscious sedation for a general procedure;
- Once your dentist has talked you through the procedure you will receive a sedative either by an oral tablet, an IV line or a mask.
- Your dentist will wait until the sedatives have taken effect. The time they take can vary depending on the type of sedative used from just a few minutes for IV sedatives and up to 60 minutes for oral sedatives.
- Once they have taken effect your dental physician can begin. Depending on the type of procedure you can be under sedation for as little as 15 to 30 minutes.
- Following treatment you will likely have no memory of the procedure. Patients will need to arrange for someone else to drive or transport them home as it can take some time to wear off completely.
Conscious sedation is not something that is automatically given for dental procedures such as fillings, root canals, crown replacements and extractions – so if it is something you would like then please speak to your dentist ahead of time who can discuss it with you.
Find out more about conscious dental sedation Essex
If you are putting off a procedure or have a treatment booked in the diary but are too nervous to go ahead with it then conscious sedation could be the right choice for you.
To find out more information about your sedation options please call us on – 01245 354046 and one of our friendly advisors will be happy to help.
Sorry it has taken me this long to write a review but I just want to thank Ian so much for my teeth. I had a brace put on and I was quite nervous throughout the whole procedure as I don’t feel totally comfortable whenever I go to the dentist, however Ian was always so professional and confident that I knew I was in safe hands. He is also very honest so you know what result you can achieve and what you can’t which I think is really important. I am so pleased with my teeth now the brace is off and I would 100% recommend!! thank you Ian & Sharrow.
Sharrow has been very warm and welcoming – good services all round. Mr Clough has been very meticulous in his treatment – very patient. Taking his time with everything he has done. I have recommended several people to his clinic and I hope they take my advice. Happy and comfortable with the service and my mouth is back to normal! So far so good! Thank you
Truly great dentist, it’s no accident that my family, my daughter’s husband and now his family now go there. Having had bad experiences in my early life , I’m so glad I found them and can only deduce that they only take on dentist who are a. fantastic at their job, b. very empathetic to those who have had bad experiences.
I’m a very nervous patient. I’m absolutely petrified of dentists but this one I feel so comfortable at. They are absolutely amazing with me and I’d recommend to anyone who’s also nervous this is the surgery for you. Everyone is so lovely and welcoming. Thank you so much sharrows. 10/10 x
Absolutely wonderful service!