For patients struggling with the loss of one or more teeth, dental implants provide a comfortable, natural looking and long term solution that can not only change their smile but their lives.
Having revolutionised the practice of dentistry over the past 30 years, dental implants provide patients with a secure and reliable replacement which unlike temporary teeth or dentures they don’t have to worry about coming loose or fixing into place. A successful implant will be configured with the existing teeth and both aesthetically and functionally will act and look just like a regular tooth.
At our Essex based practice, Sharrow Dentals expert clinicians deliver safe, affordable and long lasting dental implant treatments to help our patients recover the smile they’ve lost.
Am I a Suitable Candidate for Dental Implants?
For patients who have experienced single or multiple tooth loss, dental implant treatment in Essex can be an excellent long term solution that not only provides realistic tooth replacement but restores confidence.
However, dental implants are not a suitable treatment option for every patient and a full oral health assessment covering things such as occlusion, teeth, jawbone and gums will all be carried out prior to treatment.
Ideally a patient will be over 21 years of age with healthy gums but there are some general health factors that will be taken into account which can affect suitability such as;
- Pre-existing loss of bone volume
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are an innovative solution used to support one or more false teeth. The implant is a titanium screw that can replace the root of a tooth when it fails.
Dental implants are a comfortable and natural-looking alternative to traditional prosthetic appliances such as dentures and bridges. They have the added advantage that when appropriately planned they will not cause harm to the adjacent teeth and have better longevity than any other dental appliance which can mean that implants are actually very cost-effective for patients, contrary to popular opinion.
Are you dissatisfied or unhappy with your dentures?
If implant crowns are unaffordable, you can in fact retain your dentures. These remain removable, but this can be a cheaper alternative and significantly increase your satisfaction with your dentures. Leaving you able to eat and function without having to worry about those awkward foods.
Dental Implants Essex
If you are looking for a dental implant surgeon in Essex, at Sharrow Dental we are lucky to have 4 dentists with a great deal experience in bone augmentation (grafting) procedures, placing and restoring implants as well as other members of the team who are proficient at restoring implants. In combination with traditional restorative approaches, implants create new avenues for patients to realise a true smile makeover that can change the way that they look and give people a great deal more confidence in their smile.
Our team enjoy a fantastic and long-standing relationship with Straumann dental implants, the world leader in implant technology. Thanks to Straumann’s commitment to research and development and the skills and knowledge of our team at Sharrow we are able to produce excellent results for patients who require dental implant treatment in Essex.
What Does the Treatment Involve?
Our dental implant treatment will involve:
- A thorough, clinical examination including a scan to identify any potential issues, assess the quality and density of the bone and to build up a comprehensive picture of your oral health.
- We will compile a detailed treatment plan, taking into account your unique dental needs and the results from our examinations and scans. We can then discuss all of our findings with you and help you make an informed decision on how you wish to proceed.
- If you decided to go ahead with your dental implant procedure, then we will get you booked in to commence treatment.
- The implant surgery is a simple procedure that will take place under local anaesthetic to gently prepare the bone for the titanium implant. The gum will then be closed by stitching or grafting, and then it is left to heal.
- It takes around 2 months for the implant to fully ‘bond’ with the bone and during the healing process a temporary replacement tooth can be fitted.
- After the integration and healing is complete, the permanent replacement tooth can be fitted to the implant.
Dental implants are considered to be the most stable tooth replacement solution available and for patients suffering from tooth loss it is the closest thing to having the real tooth back again.
Book an Appointment Today
If you are interested in dental implants Chelmsford then contact us today and we will be happy to book you in for a consultation. Our experienced implant dentists will be able to discuss your treatment options in full and help you to achieve the smile you deserve.
For more advice and solutions on a recent Post Extraction or Tooth loss, please check out our care leaflet below.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is a metal rod or screw which is surgically placed in the jawbone under the gums to be used as a mounting post that artificial teeth, crowns and bridges can be secured to. Over several months the implant will become fused and anchored to the bone through something known as osteointegration which helps to provide a stable support for the attachment. Because of this patients not only benefit from the pleasing aesthetics of their new tooth, but the function is as close as you can get to that of real teeth.
At Sharrow Dental, our dental implants are a great, hard wearing, long term solution for one or more missing teeth that can deliver natural results, restore your confidence and allow you to enjoy all of the foods you have missed out on.
How long can dental implants last?
Dental implants are considered a long term, permanent tooth loss solution and have the potential to last around 20-30 years or more if they are properly maintained. However, as with most things the longevity of your dental implants will depend on a variety of factors such as;
- Oral hygiene – maintaining good oral health with regular brushing, tooth cleaning and dentist visits is crucial.
- Bad habits – biting or chewing hard items or using your teeth for things you shouldn’t, can damage the implant.
- Your dentist – the experience and competence of your dentist, how they placed the implant, and their follow up care can affect the implants lifespan.
- The implants location within the mouth – implants at the back of the mouth can have a tendency to fail more quickly as a result of frequent chewing.
- Overall health and lifestyle -smokers, heavy drinkers and those with generally unhealthy lifestyles will be more likely to experience implant failure.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants are a great solution for patients who have lost one or more teeth to decay, dental trauma or gum disease.
Some of the many benefits of dental implants include;
- The implants are securely fixed in place which means no unwanted, uncomfortable slippage or need for adhesives.
- They look, feel and function just like real teeth.
- Implants are considered to be a long term if not permanent solution that can last from 20-30 years or more.
- Dental implants support the facial structure and preserve features that may otherwise appear sunken.
- They can improve patients appearance and restore their confidence in their smile.
- Implants can be extremely cost effective compared to other restorative treatments that will likely need to be replaced more frequently.
- They don’t limit what you eat unlike dentures and make your bite effective and capable of eating everything from apples to steak.
Dental implants are easy to care for and require simple, regular tooth maintenance and routine dental check-ups.